Popular Posts

a penny saved is a penny earned

So yesterday, there is a card in the mail addressed to Master Kael Boyette.  Since the art of sending cards in the mail is slowly becoming obsolete, he was very excited when I told him that he received something in the mailbox.  As he ripped it open, the expression on his face was a Kodak moment.  "It's a card Mommy!"  I said, "WOW Kael, that is so cool."  As he opened it, his face lit up even more .  "It has money Mommy!"  So he brought the card over to me and I said, "Let's read it."

The card was adorable.  It had bright crayons on the front and said, "PRESHOOL is FUN!"  I read him the card and what Nena (my mom, his grandmom) had written.  "Tell mommy to use this money for school supplies!!  We love you sooo much!  Love, Papa & Nena

My mom and I have been talking about taking him to the bank and opening a savings account.  I want him to know the value of money and how important it is to SAVE.  So as we are driving to my mom and dad's, I look in the rearview mirror, and as usual, the wheels in Kael's brain were turning.  "Mommy, I want more money."  Don't we all, I wanted to say.  I said to him, "Well how do you get money?" to which he answered, "You ask Daddy."  That would be a negative son.  I explained to him that you have to work for money and gave him several examples.  He says, "I want to work and make money."  hmmm......now my wheels are turning.

So we get to Nena and Papa's and he rings their doorbell.  (He loves when my mom comes to the door and gets all excited to see him).  "Nena, I want to work and make money."  Well of course Nena never tells him no.....so off we go.  She told Kael that if he would pick up sticks in the backyard, she would give him $1.00.  Well....he got busy!!!

So after thinking about it and chatting with my mom, I decided that since he's 4, he will have 4 weekly responsibilities (which he came up with) to make a $/week.  He's not wanting to do the bank thing yet, so I bought him a wallet.  He's so proud, and so am I.  He really is the neatest kid.  He said to Nena, "Can you believe I have my own wallet and money in it?"  It really is the little things that kids embrace.  And since we went to Valley Forge this summer, Kael knows all about George Washington and that he is on the dollar bill.  So Papa says, "Kael, who is on that dollar bill?"  And of course Kael says, "George Washington.  But Papa, he's in heaven."  Gotta love it!!


So my day was more valuable than any amount of money!!! 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment